the grooming industry, Philips Norelco is noted for making affordable hair clippers. From the Headgroomer to the Multigroom plus, quality bleeds in the Norelco range of products. The latest addition to their offerings is the Philips Norelco QC5130 hair clipper.
The QC5130 has a 4.2 out of 5 stars rating on Amazon with 176 reviews at the time of writing. The rating is evidence that this product is worth buying. It is also backed up by a 2-year warranty. It’s currently being sold for a cheap price, which is not bad, considering the quality of the product.
The history of the Philips company dates back to 1891 when Gerard Philips and his father, Frederik started the company in Eindhoven, a Dutch city south of the Netherlands. In the early 1940s, the company started using the name Philips Norelco ( Norelco being an acronym for North American Philips Electrical Company) to sell personal care appliances such as clippers, shavers, trimmers, and so many others.
Table of Contents
Design And Specifications
The QC5130 is designed to ergonomically fit average-sized hands. It is neither big nor small; it sits comfortably in your palm when in use.
It is powered by a NiMH battery that you need to charge for 10 hours. You may then use it for 40 minutes. The running time is short, but as a family-oriented hair clipper, 40 minutes is enough.
This shaver has a wide range of length settings that can even reach 21mm. Precision is achieved by a 2mm size step. The cutter width is 41mm, which is almost the same as the other available clippers out there.
It is lightweight, but it is not cheaply made. When holding the product, you can feel that it is robust and that build quality isn’t compromised. Instead, it complements the performance of the trimmer.
One good thing this product has is its’ maintenance-free nature. You really don’t need oil to clean and maintain this product. It stays at its best even without the use of blade oil. This feature gives you less hassle in terms of maintenance.
Power And Performance
The QC5130 clippers cut very well, even on hair that is less than an inch long. The performance of this buzzer is almost at par with other consumer-grade clippers. The length guard does a good job of producing an even and premium shave.
Cutting with this trimmer is good. The power is enough to give a nice clean shave. The blades cut smooth without leaving stray hairs.
Using the shaver and adjusting the combs is a piece of cake. It can be adjusted to ten different sizes and you can easily switch from one size to another. Unlike other trimmers wherein you need to detach and attach the combs, this one gives more time to focus on cutting instead of wasting your precious time, searching for the right comb to use.
The motor is quiet without compromising its’ power. The noise level is very tolerable, unlike other trimmers that buzz like a tractor when cutting. The compact size also gives an easy grip and less strain in the arms while using.
The power and performance of this shearer are excellent. The over-all cutting experience is superb and you can use this product with confidence that you would get clean and safe cuts.
The QC5130 features self-sharpening stainless steel blades. The blades combined with the powerful motor is one of the best in its category. It is also easy to maintain, saving you more time. The self-sharpening blades don’t need blade oil to perform optimally.
The blades are also rounded. This lessens skin irritation and the risk of scratching the skin. This makes it safe to use even on kids.
What’s In The Box?
When purchased, the Norelco Hair Clipper includes the clipper itself, the charging adaptor and a cleaning brush. The accessories are minimal because the product can get the job done without the attachments.
* The hair buzzer is affordable.
* Portability isn’t an issue with this product
* The self-sharpening blade reduces maintenance cost
* This item is ergonomically designed and comfortable to use
* It is easy to use and very convenient
* The noise level is low compared to other products in the same category
* The motor is powerful without being noisy
* There is a cordless option
* The adjustable length guide is a great feature.
* It comes with a two-year warranty to ensure that you are backed up when the product fails within that period.
* The rechargeable battery is not replaceable. If the battery dies, you need to dispose of the battery properly by opening the unit, but there is no clear instruction on how to replace the battery.
* There is no charge indicator. You need to time the start of charging and the time of its completion. There is a warning light if it has enough juice and if it is already low in power. The good thing is that you can plug the unit with the cord provided if ever it dies while in use.
* The adjustable clipper length is a flimsy plastic that can break down anytime. It is just a plastic that slides up or down on a certain measurement. The manufacturers could have used a more durable material than plastic.
* There is no travel case. The travel case could have served as additional protection for the unit.
The Philips Norelco QC5130 Hair Clipper definitely gets the job done. Its’ lightweight dress is an asset and portability isn’t a problem. You can easily travel with this product on a daily basis. The Norelco can be used by family-oriented users or hairdressers who are looking for a durable device that can easily be used.
Despite the strengths and weaknesses mentioned in this buying guide, Norelco is one great product and hundreds of users can testify to the fact that it is worth buying.
You would find this product useful, whether you are a first time user or a professional hairdresser and I highly recommend it. The dimensions are only 1.3 x 1 x 7.2 inches, and even though it weighs less than half a pound, it’s a very durable little piece of equipment. It can be used on all hair types and used as a trimmer, but it is not recommended for use on wet hair.
- Andis 01557 Master Hair Clipper Review
- Wahl Professional Super Taper II Hair Clipper #8470-500 Review
- Oster Classic 76 Professional Hair Clipper Review
- Panasonic ER-GP80 K Professional Hair Clipper Review
- Philips Norelco Bodygroomer BG2040/49 Review
- Philips Norelco Beard Trimmer 3100 Review
- Philips Norelco Beard Trimmer 7300 QT4070/41 Review
- Philips Norelco Shaver 7700 S7720/90 Review
- Philips Norelco S9721/89, Shaver 9700 Review
- Philips Norelco 1250X/40 SensoTouch 3D Electric Razor (Series 8000) Review
- Philips Norelco Shaver 4100 (Model AT810/41) Review
- Philips Norelco QG3270 Multigroom Pro Review
- Philips Norelco1250X/40 Series 8000 Electric Razor Review
- Philips Norelco QT4050 Vacuum Beard Trimmer Review
- Oster Fast Feed Clipper Review
Last update 2021-01-05. Price and product availability may change.