The Wahl Clipper Corporation has been in the business of making clippers for nearly a century now. It all started with a patent that Leo J. Wahl filed for an electromagnetic hair clipper back in the late 1910s. Ever since then, the company has been constantly innovating and improving on their early designs. Just a couple of decades ago, in the 1950s, they introduced the vacuum clipper to the world. This was innovative because it eliminated the need for you to wear the barber’s cape when having a haircut.
The Wahl 84701 Professional Super Taper II Hair Clipper is one of the products that the company takes pride in. It is one of those rare products that actually forgoes fancy and gimmicky features and focuses on getting the basics right. It’s no surprise that it has gotten such positive feedback from both professional and regular customers who’ve bought it.
- PROFESSIONAL PRECISION: Featuring our 1006 blade which is specifically designed for smooth, quick, and precise performance on thicker hair types such as multicultural hair
- HEAVY DUTY AND FUNCTIONAL: Super Taper II features our V5000 Electromagnetic motor that runs faster than a standard clipper, making this tool excellent for cutting, tapering, fading, and blending
- ACCESSORIES INCLUDED: The clipper, 8 attachment guides (1/8”, ¼”, 3/8”, ½”, 5/8”, ¾”, 7/8”, and 1”), styling comb, cleaning brush, clipper blade oil, red blade guard and operating instructions
- PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS: 6.25” long and weighs 1lb; includes an 8 foot professional grade chemical resistant power cord and a convenient variable thumb taper lever for adjusting the taper and texture
The great thing about Wahl trimmers and clippers, in general, is that they don’t outsource their manufacture to other companies. They have their own factories for making their products within and outside the United States of America. Unlike other companies, they only offer a full 2-year warranty for their products. You know that if something goes wrong with a product you purchased from them, they’ll have your back and help you get things right.
Their emphasis on product quality might currently explain why the Wahl 84701 has an average star rating of 4.4 out of a possible 5 (with over 1058 customer reviews on Amazon) at the time of writing.
Table of Contents
The Wahl 84701 has a dimension of 12 x 4 x 6 inches and weighs one pound. It might seem heavy compared to similar products but that’s because of its solid construction (which will be discussed in detail later on).
Power and Performance
In terms of power, the motor on this clipper is of the V5000 variety. To say that it’s power is actually an understatement. When it comes to hair clippers, this is probably the most powerful motor that you can use. It cuts fast and it will make short work of even curly and thick hair types. Whether you use it on dry or wet hair, it will still give you the same result. Using it as a beard trimmer might not give you the same results as when using it as a clipper. That’s not to say it’s not going to work well as a trimmer (it actually does), but it would work best if it were used to clip or cut hair.
Aside from the motor, it’s important to have good blades on a clipper. Stainless steel blades are a standard nowadays but Wahl isn’t content to copy this technology. Their high precision, high carbon steel blades ensure not only a smooth cut but also convenience on your part. These blades are self-sharpening so there’s no need for you to worry about their maintenance. It would take years for these blades to turn dull. Wahl knows that a lot of the people who buy their products expect these to last long, hence their decision to use carbon steel instead of stainless steel. This has also resulted in the blades being more durable than stainless steel blades.
Design and Durability
Although on paper it might seem like 1 pound is heavy when compared to other clipper weights, it really doesn’t feel that heavy when you do get a hold of it. That’s probably because of how solid and compact it feels in your hand. In terms of appearance though, you could say that the design is pretty uninspired. But again, Wahl products aren’t really about looks but more about functionality. If you’re looking for a clipper that looks flashy, you’re better off buying another brand. Additionally, it can’t be used without a cord. This is due to the fact that it has an extremely powerful motor which would require a bigger and more powerful battery solution than the ones currently available.
The Wahl 84701 Super Taper hair clipper has accessories that give it a lot of versatility in cutting hair. It comes with 8 guide combs for different lengths of hair. The smallest is the ¼ inch guide and the largest of which is the 1 inch guide comb. There’s also a separate styling comb that should be of great before, during, and after you use the clipper. As a whole, the package could have used more accessories and attachments like a pair of barber scissors and a storage case. You could buy these separately though and they’re generally reasonably priced.
* Great design and construction makes it feel compact and solid when held in your hand
* The powerful V5000 motor can easily cut any type of hair. Regardless of length or thickness, there’s absolutely no hair that the motor and blades won’t be able to cut
* The guide attachments are color-coded so it’s easier to look for the one that you need
* Cannot be used without a cord. With such a powerful motor, Wahl needed to have looked for a bigger battery to make the Super Taper work cordlessly. This would have made it larger, heavier, and more unwieldy
* The whole kit only has the essentials. This means it doesn’t include scissors or a storage case
* Heats up when used for too long
Your Turn to Decide
Other than the fact that you can’t use it cordlessly, the Wahl 84701 Professional Super Taper II Hair Clipper is without a doubt a good investment for your home, or if you’re a professional hair stylist, for your business. Cutting the hair of variable thickness is extremely easy thanks to the combination of the powerful V5000 motor and self-sharpening carbon steel blades. Should you get the Super Taper II Hair Clipper from Wahl? You definitely should. You’re not going to find any other clipper that can provide similar or better results.
- Panasonic ER-GP80 K Professional Hair Clipper Review
- Oster Classic 76 Professional Hair Clipper Review
- Andis 01557 Master Hair Clipper Review
- Philips Norelco QC5130 Hair Clipper Review
- Wahl 79300 Color Pro Haircutting Kit Review
- Oster Fast Feed Clipper Review
- Wahl 9906-717 Groomsman Beard and Mustache Trimmer Review
- Wahl 5537-1801 Beard Trimmer Review with Ear, Nose and Brow Trimmer
- Wahl 9918-6171 Groomsman Beard Trimmer Review
- Remington SCC-100 Short Cut Clipper Review
- Andis 04710 T-Outliner Beard/Hair Trimmer Review
- Panasonic ER430K Vacuum Ear, Nose and Facial Hair Trimmer Review
- Conair 20-Piece Lithium Ion Haircut Kit Review
- 7 Best Body Hair Trimmers & Groomers 2021
- Andis Easy Cut 10-Piece Haircutting Kit Review
Last update 2021-01-05. Price and product availability may change.