There are lots of unique styles available when it comes to styling the men’s facial hair. Some men may decide on the traditional way of wearing a goatee, full beard or clean-shaven face. And other men tried to experiment and create their own fashion of styling their own facial hair. Maybe you cannot imagine that the best male fashion accessory is the beard, but there are lots of things to consider and one of them is what style you are going to wear.
Table of Contents
- 1 Identify Your Face Shape To Choose The Perfect Beard Style:
- 2 Best Beard Styles for Square, Oval, And Round Faces
- 2.1 The Full Beard
- 2.2 The Chin Strap: Best Beard Style for Oval Face
- 2.3 The Goatee: Best Beard Style for Round Face
- 2.4 Mutton Chops
- 2.5 The Door Knocker or Van Dyke: Best Beard Style for Square Face
Identify Your Face Shape To Choose The Perfect Beard Style:
It is very much down to individual choice when it comes to shaving. On the other hand, everyone needs to consider the shape of the face when choosing the ideal beard style just like when deciding for a pair of glasses and shades. Every face is unique and as well as the beard style too.
Do You Have A Small or Large Face?
If your face is small then you will end up choosing the beard styles to correspond to this. It is not definitely nice to see a large beard to a small face and other people will likely see it not in proportion. Men with small faces must consider the little details beards or else you will be swamped.
If you are one of the large-headed men, I mean literally quite than figuratively, still, you need to consider the proportion. Large-headed men with a tiny beard will normally look their head much bigger like an overblown balloon. Just always put in mind that both small and large-headed men must not take for granted the general shapes and must apply the style appropriately.
Beard Styles for Square or Round Face
Men with round face must use the beard to lengthen out the shape by wearing the beard longer at the chin. Always maintain the sides short with length at the chin portions. With that, you can have a longer face appearance. Another selection to consider is the typical goatee.
You should cut the edges a little bit for those men belongs to square faces, therefore, relating to the converse rule of the round-headed style of beard, it must be shorter at the chin area and thicker at the chin portion. And there are instances that long sideburns can help lengthen men face. A goatee will also probably work but keep in mind not to make it narrow and always maintain the length in the chin area.
Beard With A Long Face?
You don’t have to emphasize the length when you have belongs to the long face category. Hence, the reverse rule of men with a round face is just a way to go. To give your face thicker look you must thicken also the sides. If you are a little bit thin and slender in the cheeks portion, wearing a thicker side can surely give you a good look.
Oval Shape Means Freedom Of Choice
The oval shape is also known as the king’s shape of all shapes when talking about beards. You can have your own experiment since most of the beard styles are suited to this shape.
In shaving a beard, it must be a fun and enjoyable experience. What’s important is that you made your own decision and you feel happy and more comfortable with it.
Best Beard Styles for Square, Oval, And Round Faces
To rapidly and inexpensively freshen up your facial appearance, updated facial hair is the best way. And you can have plenty of beard style ideas by asking those professional trimmers near you or simply using the Internet. The good thing about keeping your beards grow is that it is not permanent and you can always change and customize its style and shape of your beard to keep it looks cool and clean.
Men still looking for different beard styles will definitely discover useful ideas here.
The Full Beard
One of the most traditional styles of facial hair is the full beard and the ideal choice for those men with a weak jawline.
Is Full Beard Right for You? How To Grow A Full Beard?
If you see a man who has hair on his upper lip, across his cheeks, down his sideburns, all around his mouth, and over his chin, completing the circle under his neck, he’s sporting a traditional full beard. Such a facial hairstyle connotes manliness, self-confidence, and boldness. Do you think a full beard is just right for you? Well, it is so classy when it’s well-groomed but rugged when it’s not. Of course, it has to be maintained.
Usually, the longer the beard, the more eccentric a man seems. Do you want such an image? But some men who portray a bad-boy image tend to grow a scruffy beard. They sport this kind of facial hair for it depicts their sexiness, audacity, and irreverence. Also, scruffy beards imply rebellious style and radiate oozing self-confidence. Furthermore, they simply love their sexy stubble because it attracts women.
Growing a Full Beard
While it’s easier for some men to grow their facial hair any way they want to, others are having a hard time to achieve a full beard style. Genetics is such an uncontrollable factor affecting one’s choice of facial hairstyle. Most facial hair grows in a mixture of thickness, direction, and color. Therefore instead of those comb-overs and fillers, just work on what you’ve got. Anyway, there’s a variation of full beard, might as well just go for what fits your facial hair.
Do not shave for four to six weeks. Don’t even trim from your collarbone to your eyeballs. This is enough time to give an idea where the whiskers grow as well as its direction. Don’t be surprised if you feel itchiness with this. But you’ll be relieved if you apply beard balm and conditioner on your beard to keep it clean. Also, use a premium moisturizer or natural oil such as jojoba to soothe your skin.
Grooming a Full Beard
To make your efforts of growing the beard worthwhile, seek the services of a professional to show you how to properly trim it with the right tools using the right products as well as give some precautionary measures. Afterward, make sure to have your own tools like a beard trimmer, safety razor, high-quality scissors, beard comb, and mustache comb at home. This way, shaving will be easier for you with the right tools.
Complement it with the necessary grooming products like beard shampoo, shaving cream, moisturizer, and an aftershave. Don’t be ashamed to display these items in your bathroom. To make the right shaving and grooming procedures, just follow the manual to avoid unnecessary mishaps. Once done, thoroughly check every angle to ensure you’ve achieved the desired beard style.
The Chin Strap: Best Beard Style for Oval Face
Chinstrap is also known as a Chin curtain. It follows the jawline with a neat and clean trimmed strap of hair. Good thing is that men could wear this style with or without a mustache.
While most men try to project a brusque image with their showy and complicated facial hairstyle, there are some men who just want simple whiskers and still keep their manliness intact. They are wearing a chin strip, a facial hairstyle which is almost face-naked.
Basically, a chin strip is a long soul patch extending all the way down to the tip of one’s chin. There are two styles of chin strips. The first style is a rectangle of whiskers wherein the width is uniform from top to bottom. This is the most common chin strip. The other style has the strip’s bottom part shaped into a point.
Growing a Chin Strip
Perhaps you’ll think that it’s just an easy style so there’s not much of an effort. Yes, it’s true but it is advisable to let it grow to a full beard for at least four weeks or once it reaches about half an inch. This way, you’ll have enough hair for shaping purposes. Also, you may want to determine the particular area where the hair grows. The same is true for other types of facial hair. At any rate, leaving it grows for a specific period of time is necessary if you want to style your facial hair in any way.
Grooming a Chin Strip
Obviously, as the name suggests, the focal point here is your chin area. A chin strip has to be positioned at the center of your chin and should be aligned with your nose. Since it’s just a narrow patch of hair, getting it done real straight is challenging. Hence, it is recommended to use an electric trimmer with no guard to start the trimming procedures. It’s good to use such a trimmer for it gives a precision line around the beard that you’re working on. It can also be done if you’ve got a steady hand and a safety razor.
Start on the hair below your ears and shave inward. Shave the two sides of your face alternately so that treatment for both sides will be the same. On your chin portion, which is the highlight of this facial hairstyle, systematically shave both sides until you achieve the desired width of the chin strip. Then shave the remaining facial hair using a trimmer with an adjustable guard, making sure the patch is shaven against the grain. Its length should be even. A chin strip as wide as your nose is cool while a narrow chin strip somehow makes a wide jaw look narrower. Detailed Guide on Shaping your Goatee.
The Goatee: Best Beard Style for Round Face
Having the same width of the mouth, the goatee can help give an illusion of length to men with rounded facial shape.
What Is A Goatee Beard Style? How To Grow And Trim A Goatee?
A goatee is a type of facial hair that is often misunderstood. Named after a goat, this facial hairstyle is present on the chin and nowhere else. It’s not a combination of mustache and chin beard just like what the 17th century Anthony van Dyke had. But it’s just a small chin beard and nothing else. The cheeks and jawline should be clean-shaven.
Look around you and you’ll see a lot of men wearing a goatee, even popular celebrities like Brad Pitt and Adam Sandler are sporting this facial hairstyle. Why not? If it is indeed well-trimmed, it looks good on every man. It’s just a matter of choosing the style that’s appropriate to your face. Some men have thicker, fuller, and longer goatees than the others. But whatever style it is, the key factor is to keep it well-groomed.
Growing a goatee
- Let the hair on your chin grow freely together with that little soul patch.
- Don’t do anything on it until the hair becomes thick.
- While you let the hair grow on your chin area, keep the other part of your face clean-shaven.
- When your beard has grown about half an inch, you can now work on it to shape a very nice goatee.
Grooming a goatee
- Make sure your goatee has the same width with your mouth.
- Look at the mirror, smile, then shave the goatee perimeter alongside your dimples or smile lines.
- Define a straight line with your goatee’s outer edges or you may have them slightly curved. But as much as possible, make a smooth line.
- Make it balanced, so don’t be in a hurry while shaving the sides. Pause for a while if necessary, then proceed and check if you achieve symmetry.
- If you don’t go for a caveman, round off the hair underneath your chin. But if you have a lesser chin, you may leave it a little longer.
- To know the trendy goatee variations, check the latest issue of the magazine Rolling Stone.
Now that you have your desired goatee groomed well, compose yourself and let this emanate your self-confidence. After all, it all depends on how you carry yourself. With a well-trimmed goatee, you’ll become more likable to the ladies out there. There are various goatee styles out there, choose wisely according to your face shape.
Basically it has long sideburns and looks like a beard without a goatee. This style is very suitable for artists, bikers and also for a rock star.
How to Grow Mutton Chops? A Little Guide for Large Sideburns!
The mutton chop facial hairstyle is quite old. Some sources trace it back to 1865. Many people considered this style as huge, glorified sideburns. But now, many men sport mutton chops to have an alternative, unusual look. Though this may be an outdated style, it can still be a good facial hairstyle to consider today. At any rate, it all depends on how you carry yourself.
Sporting mutton chops nowadays is not a bad idea at all. For as long as it defines your uniqueness and you are pretty confident with it, that’s what matters most. This may not be an ideal look in today’s generation but with mutton chops, you can have an outstanding look. You will not have a hard time growing this type of facial hair. And if you’re into growing a beard, then you can easily grow mutton chops. Here are some practical tips in this regard.
- Don’t cut your sideburns. Just let these grow. Having thick sideburns is one way to set up a good appearance with mutton chops. You cannot just rely on your beard to cover your face for some set of chops.
- Let your mustache grow simultaneously with the sideburns. You may even let this facial hair grow beyond both edges of your mouth. You can trim those above your top lip. But as to the sides, just let these hang down to your chin.
- While you grow both sideburns and mustache, continue shaving your chin portion, from your mouth’s ends all the way down to your neck.
- Cut the sideburns when they finally meet the mustache’s edges. There shouldn’t be seen any skin between these two hairlines. But do not let the sideburns to overlap the mustache.
- If you want to have a cleaner mutton chop look, let this stand alone without the other facial hair. Clear that mustache then let the sideburns keep on growing down to your chin. As the hair grows, you can define its shape. And once they’ve reached your chin, you may shape the hair so that it falls down with style.
The Door Knocker or Van Dyke: Best Beard Style for Square Face
This is the best style for men who have rapid growth of hair around the mouth portion but a little growth in the cheeks and sideburns area. These days, it is usually called a goatee or Van Dyke. This type of beard style is pretty famous and it can help you cover the weak jawline and could also add an illusion of length to a rounded face.
It is important to know what type of face you have before styling a beard because of some beard style suits for Square and Oval faces and some for round faces. Always have fun and customize your look until you discover what suits you!!
- 11 Best Goatee Beard Styles for Men
- 5 Best Well-Groomed Beard Styles for Men
- 20 Best Beard Styles of 2021 | Long, Short, and Goatee
- 10 Best Mutton Chops Beard Style – The Most Unique and Friendly Style of Beard
- Celebrity Beard Styles – How to Get?
- Complete Beard Style Guide to Styling Your Beard
- 5 Best Beard Styles to look Romantic and Appealing
- Top 10 Best Mustache Styles and How to Get Them On
- Detailed Guide on Shaping your Goatee
- The Balbo Beard Style: How to Grow, Shave and Care?
- Van Dyke Beard Style: How to Grow, Groom and Care?
- 5 Best Electric Head Shaver for men 2021
- Skin Types for Men – What’s Yours? How to make it Healthy?
- Trusted Skin Care and Shaving Tips for Sensitive Skin Men
- How to Shape a Beard Properly – The Easy Way